I separated from my partner over a year ago and w

27 May 2022

Question by Leanne Terese

I separated from my partner over a year ago and we have a 6 yr old son together. We were not married and I had no financial interest on the property and therefore moved out of the family home but my son stayed with his dad. I had saw my son regularly but was staying at my sisters so not ideal.

Once I had managed to find rental accommodation, 3 months following the split we agreed to share custody of our son on a 50/50 basis.

I was not legally entitled to any financial payment from him (had 2 separate legal advisors to confirm this) but he did give me some money as a payoff no where near what I believe a 11 year long relationship should be entitled to considering I had to set up a completely new home - I was regarded as homeless so managed to get support from the local council.

My question is, my ex is in such a much more favorable position then myself, he is a company director of a successful business, has a mortgage on a £450k worth house and owns a static caravan in Lystep - which isnt cheap to run.

I am struggling financially, and have to claim universal credit to make ends meet. I work F/T.

What rights do I have to ask him for monthly financial support as he is clearly in a stronger financially position then me.

However, I do think he does not declare his full earnings to HMRC. So it may be hard for me to prove his wages?

Answered by Boring Money

Hi Leanne

Unfortunately the laws that govern married couples are not the same as for those who are unmarried and cohabiting. If you share care of your son 50/50, I believe that the child maintenance service would not require your ex to pay anything. I completely understand your frustration but I'm afraid that I don't think that he is obliged to financially support you. I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear.

Kind regards


Answered by

Boring Money