• Start with as little as £25–£50 a month
• Access your money whenever you want
• Choose your investments or leave it all to the experts
• Set your own preferred level of risk vs reward
What could I make? What could I lose?
• Expect to make around 5%–6% a year after fees on average – but be prepared to ride out the highs and lows
• If you're investing for at least 5 years, shares are likely to do better than cash – the longer the better, but nothing's guaranteed
In no particular order...
…if you want your portfolio to run on autopilot
…if you want to save money and the planet
Wealthify and Nutmeg are top of the honours list again, each with a range of ready-made, socially responsible portfolios. Or, if you’d prefer to pick your own investments, AJ Bell Youinvest has a list of funds (basically stocks and shares multipacks) with a handy ethical filter.
…if you want to pick your own investments
Hargreaves Lansdown has a broad range of investments to choose from and market-leading customer service. AJ Bell Youinvest and Fidelity are great too for medium-sized portfolios. Or, if you’re looking to invest £50,000 or more, Interactive Investor have a fixed fee structure that means you’ll pay less the larger your portfolio gets.
These top picks originally appeared as part of a longer article. Take a look for more guidance around stocks and shares ISAs.
Check out our independent Best Buys for ratings, reviews and summaries of top investment platforms and robo advisors. There's even an ethical filter to keep your money moral.Best Buys
Join the thousands of people who get our weekly musings on money, great products, top tips and a dollop of opinion.Sign up to Holly's Blog
What have other people been doing? Learn from their experiences.
You may think the stock market is risky. But you know how important it is to save and are fed up with getting pennies in interest every year. Overcome your suspicion and see what investing is really like.Suspicious Savers