Winona: How I'd use the Investment Fees Calculator
By Mike Narouei, Content Producer at Boring Money
13 July, 2021
What's the best way to use our Investment Fees Calculator? If you're a confident DIY investor like Winona, you can really take control.
Not like Winona? Choose another example (https://www.boringmoney.co.uk/learn/articles/how-people-use-investment-fees-calculator/)
Winona, a confident DIY investor
Wants to invest: £100,000 in ISAs, £75,000 in a SIPP, £25,000 in a Junior ISA, and £50,000 in a GIA – to be transferred from other providers
Preferred approach: Checking her current providers' fees are still competitive. Will pay a little more for great service.
Funds or shares: A variety. Over the years, Winona has accumulated multiple balances across various investment accounts. She continues to invest in funds but also regularly trades shares.
How Winona would use the calculator
1. Type £250,000 into the first box (£100,000+ £75,000 + £25,000 + 50,000)
2. Tick the box that says 'I have a combination of these accounts'
3. Type 40% into the ISA box (because £100,000 is 40% of the total £250,000); 30% into the SIPP box (because £75,000 is 30% of the total £250,000); 10% into the JISA box (because £25,000 is 10% of the total £250,000); and 20% into the GIA box (because £50,000 is 20% of the total £250,000)
4. Click the down arrow to reveal the advanced settings
5. Use the slider to split the money between funds and shares – Janice has chosen to have 75% of the total £ value of her investments in shares
6. Use the slider to select the total number of trades you will make in funds over the year – Winona has selected 4 trades
7. Use the slider to select the total number of trades you will make in shares over the year – Winona has selected 25 trades
8. Tick the box that says 'Do you invest monthly?'
9. Use the slider to select how many funds you will regularly invest in each month – Winona has selected 1 regular transaction
10. Use the slider to select how many shares you will regularly invest in each month – Winona has selected 4 regular transactions
To save your results, simply add your email address in the dark blue box next to your results.
Try the calculator for yourself (https://www.boringmoney.co.uk/calculator/)
Drum roll please! Winona's results...
Image goes here
Calculations correct as at 15/7/2019
Notes about these results
• Remember that price isn’t everything – you might prefer a slightly more expensive investment platform or robo adviser that has a higher rating. It’s up to you!
• Please be aware that our Investment Fees Calculator doesn't take into consideration any additional fees your current provider may ask for if you move your investments to a new provider.
• As the years roll by, your overall investment pot will likely grow in size. If it does, you may want to come back and try the calculator again to make sure you’re still getting the best deal.
Try it for yourself: the Investment Fees Calculator (https://www.boringmoney.co.uk/calculator/)